Project Manager (reannounce)
OPPORTUNITY FOR MAXIMIZING AGRIBUSINESS INVESTMENTS
AND DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (OMAID - P168179)
TERM of Reference for consultant
Project Manager (reannounce)
- Background and position context
Recognizing that agriculture/agribusiness development are crucial for inclusive growth and jobs creation, the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA) is committed to a program of renewal and strategic long-term investments in this sector. To this end, the GoIRA is preparing a new project “Opportunity for Maximizing Agribusiness Investments and Development - OMAID” with support from the World Bank Group.
OMAID development objective is to enhance private sector participation in agricultural value-chains in Afghanistan. This objective is aligned with the Agricultural Roadmap and Afghanistan Agribusiness Charter, adopted in November 2018 by the High Economic Council (HEC). The Charter presents a comprehensive and strategic plan (2019-2024) to enable growth of agri-enterprises and promote greater opportunities for both self-employment and jobs in rural and urban areas. It focuses on investments in four strategic priorities: (i) supportive policy and regulatory environment that can foster a competitive and sustainable upgrade of the agribusiness sector in Afghanistan; (ii) innovative agri-spatial solutions (agri-food parks) to support enhanced productivity of Afghan smallholder farmers and competitiveness of agri-food enterprises in local and international markets; (iii) access to finance to increase the availability of sustainable and appropriate financial services for agricultural value chain actors (farmers, intermediary agencies, traders, processors and exporters); and (iv) strengthening institutions for efficient service delivery.
OMAID investments focuses on points (i) and (ii) and is designed as the “umbrella” for the effective coordination and implementation of the Agribusiness Charter. The project clusters its activities around two interrelated technical components: (i) improving the enabling environment for agribusiness development; and (ii) support to private investments through agri-spatial solutions. In addition, a third project component focuses on project coordination and monitoring and crisis prevention and management (see attached project document for detailed description of the components/activities).
OMAID will be implemented under the overall responsibility of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce (MoIC).
The Ministry of Industry and Commerce is looking for a highly skilled individual to lead the day-to-day implementation of OMAID (Project Manager). The position is to be a full-time post for the whole project duration (5-years). The Project Manager is to be seated at the MoIC, General Directorate for Industrial Parks.
Specific responsabilities and tasks
The Project Manager will report to the Director General Directorate for Industrial Parks/MoIC. He/she will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Overall management and establishing full functionality of the Project Management Unit.
- Lead the day-to-day implementation of OMAID and ensure all implementation arrangements are carried out smoothly.
- Establish clear working relationship with all key stakeholders and ensure flow of information, discussions and feedbacks among the various stakeholders of the project.
- Secure proper use of project budget.
- Organize and coordinate evaluation of the project.
- Draft ToRs for experts and subcontractors to be approved by MoIC and organize tender for experts and subcontractors according to ToRs approved.
- Provide guidance to PMU staff, experts and subcontractors - Sets tasks and deadlines and oversee their performance.
- Facilitate and cooperate with audit processes at all times as required.
- Prepare and update project work plans as needed to meet project targets.
- Identification and resolution of implementation problems, with the guidance of the D.G. General Directorate of Industrial Parks.
- Periodic reporting of the overall performance of project to MoIC.
- Ensure timely communication with World Bank team and compliance with all agreed-upon financial and procurement procedures at all levels.
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of financial reports and settlement of advances.
- Timely preparation and submission of the Quarterly and Annual Progress Report and any other substantial reports required by MoIC and the Agribusiness Charter Executive Secretariat;
- Work closely with Agribusiness Charter Executive Secretariat all the time;
- Assist in communication and dissemination of information related to the project.
- Any other activity related to implementation, management, monitoring of the Project, not specified within the above scope of services.
- DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT AND REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
- The assignment is for 1-year renewable depending on satisfaction and performance.
- The Consultant will report to the Reporting to Director General, General Directorate for Industrial Parks.
- CONSULTANT PROFILE AND COMPETENCIES
This position requires technical breadth and depth to devise food industrial park solutions and carry-out dialogue with various stakeholders, a combination of integrative skills, strong operational experience, sensitivity to the political economy of the country, and strong communication skills. The candidate should have:
- A minimum of master’s degree in industrial project management or related field.
- At least 8 years of work experience in managing development projects preferably in the food industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in project planning, implementation and monitoring (including finance
- Demonstrated ability to lead discussions at the highest policy levels.
- Demonstrated achievement of results – through building a culture that delivers high-quality products and services to clients.
- Demonstrated leadership in team work and inclusion to support collaboration and working across boundaries.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and quality assurance.
- Strong conceptual skills demonstrated by evidence of similar projects undertaken elsewhere.
- Complete fluency in the English language, including demonstrated excellent English report writing skills.
Annoce date : 31/08/2019
Expire date : 19/09/2019
Submission Email :