social Safegard specialist (reannouncement)
OPPORTUNITY FOR MAXIMIZING AGRIBUSINESS INVESTMENTS
AND DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (OMAID - P168179)
TERM of Reference for consultant
social safegard specialist (reannouncement)
- Background and position context
Recognizing that agriculture/agribusiness development are crucial for inclusive growth and jobs creation, the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA) is committed to a program of renewal and strategic long-term investments in this sector. To this end, the GoIRA is preparing a new project “Opportunity for Maximizing Agribusiness Investments and Development - OMAID” with support from the World Bank Group.
OMAID development objective is to enhance private sector participation in agricultural value-chains in Afghanistan. This objective is aligned with the Afghanistan Agribusiness Charter, adopted in November 2018 by the High Economic Council (HEC). The Charter presents a comprehensive and strategic plan (2019-2024) to enable growth of agri-enterprises and promote greater opportunities for both self-employment and jobs in rural and urban areas. It focuses on investments in four strategic priorities: (i) supportive policy and regulatory environment that can foster a competitive and sustainable upgrade of the agribusiness sector in Afghanistan; (ii) innovative agri-spatial solutions (agri-food parks) to support enhanced productivity of Afghan smallholder farmers and competitiveness of agri-food enterprises in local and international markets; (iii) access to finance to increase the availability of sustainable and appropriate financial services for agricultural value chain actors (farmers, intermediary agencies, traders, processors and exporters); and (iv) strengthening institutions for efficient service delivery.
OMAID investments focuses on points (i) and (ii) and is designed as the “umbrella” for the effective coordination and implementation of the Agribusiness Charter. The project clusters its activities around two interrelated technical components: (i) improving the enabling environment for agribusiness development; and (ii) support to private investments through agri-spatial solutions. In addition, a third project component focuses on project coordination and monitoring and crisis prevention and management (see attached project document for detailed description of the components/activities).
OMAID will be implemented under the overall responsibility of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce (MoIC).
The Ministry of Industry and Commerce is looking for a highly skilled individual to lead the day-to-day implementation of OMAID (Social Safeguard Specialist). The position is to be a full-time post for the whole project duration (5-years). The Safeguard Specialist is to be seated at the MoIC, General Directorate for Industrial Parks.
- Specific responsabilities and tasks
The Social Safeguard specialist for OMID project will be responsible for ensuring that the Project’s social development outcomes are achieved that have a range of responsibilities related to social inclusion including opportunities for integration, transparency, accountability and monitoring under OMID. The incumbents will be expected to work in close coordination and collaboration to ensure the implementation of all relevant safeguard instruments applicable to Project Manager.
Detail Scope of Task:
- Ensure that the project activities follow the guidelines and provisions of the environmental and social management framework (ESMF) and the Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) and relevant social safeguard standards in overall projects operations
- Ensure that the land acquisitions and livelihood approaches are in full compliance with the RPF provisions, particularly OP 4.12 (Involuntary Resettlement policy, Land Acquisition Law and Land Management Law
- Ensure the overall implementation, supervision and conduct regular monitoring of social impacts assessments, the site-specific ESMPs and Resettlement Action Plan, if required.
- To provide technical assistance to clients on mitigation strategies and requirements for the potential negative social impacts.
- Provide trainings to organization’s staff on overall social aspects and Resettlement Policy Framework and awareness raising of contractors on their immediate requirements to ensure compliance with ESMF and RPF provisions and procedures.
- Conduct consultative meetings with relevant stakeholders to discuss site-specific social issues of the project and get feedback from the participants to refine the Environmental and Social Management Plans
- Support the project team on implementation of Citizen Engagement mechanisms and ensure the delivery of satisfaction surveys with the level of affordability and reliability of services
- Ensure the implementation of the Grievance Redress Mechanism and the grievance handling procedures, channels, grievance database to ensure that all registered complains are addressed properly;
- Ensure that the Grievance Redress Mechanism manual is translated and disclosed among the staff and project beneficiaries and establish functional GRM system
- Conduct training and awareness raising of the project staff and contractors on GRM utilization and functionally
- Help strengthen capacity for managing social concerns of the relevant staff and the contractors working with the organization
- Conduct Social safeguard on-the-Job or cascade training for district engineers and other relevant field staff.
- Coordinate with Contractor and relevant Implementing Agencies on addressing health-related issues such as security and safety of vulnerable groups, particularly women & children and impact of labor influx on host community.
- Ensure close coordination with provincial engineers during subprojects selection and technical survey.
- Respond to Third Party Monitoring (TPM) reports (via the HQ Division) on Social safeguard related issues within his/her region.
- He/she will be expected to provide technical social safeguards advises to site engineers to ensure social safeguard aspect are properly incorporated into the project design.
- The incumbent will responsible to oversee the selected project sites to ensure it is socially sound and meets other social safeguard requirements.
- Ensure that the contractors understand the Site -specific ESMPs and the requirement that ESMP should be part of the bidding documents
- The social safeguard specialist will visit the subproject sites on regular basis to supervise the implementation process of social safeguard instruments.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports on social development themes. Track progress of activities undertaken by consulting firms on “real-time” basis using MIS.
- Ensure the timely submission of work plans, monthly/quarterly reports, outputs and other deliverables to Project Director and WB for review, as appropriate.
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor or his/her representative.
- DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT AND REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
- The assignment is for 1-year renewable depending on satisfaction and performance.
- The Consultant will report to the Reporting to Director General, General Directorate for Industrial Parks and Procurement Department of MoIC.
- CONSULTANT PROFILE AND COMPETENCIES
- At a minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field such as social sciences, International Development, public policy and planning or relevant fields required, whereas a Master’s level in a relevant field will be preferred. (Note: In exceptional cases, non-related fields of education, with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree may be considered if the work experience is most directly related).
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in the related field with a minimum of 3 years in social safeguards, and program implementation and program monitoring role;
- Good knowledge of working with government institutions, especially Good knowledge of working with local governance institutions will be an adding value.
Other Skills Required:
- Substantial experience with report writing and use of M.S office (Word, Excel etc);
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Dari and Pashto;
- Ability and strong willingness to work with people of different cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work under pressure and within limited timeframes;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Great ability of teamwork;
- Creative and smart to find multiple solutions for problems.
Submission Email : Please send your CV to below email Ipgd.email@example.com